Interesting Obesity Facts
The facts about obesity. There is much speculation but let’s discuss obesity facts and obesity statistics. Obesity is a condition defined by an over accumulation of body fat. Typically a body mass index of more than 30 is considered obese. Let’s take a look at some other obesity facts in America.
Some childhood obesity facts
Childhood obesity in America is of significant concern. If future generations continue to trend towards higher obesity rates obesity related illness will of course increase also. According to the CDC “The percentage of children aged 6–11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 20% in 2008. Similarly, the percentage of adolescents aged 12–19 years who were obese increased from 5% to 18% over the same period.”
It should come as no surprise that obese children tend to become obese adults. The earlier in life obesity starts the more long term detrimental health effects.
There are many contributing factors to obesity. One such problem is more sedentary lifestyle. One example of this is the reduction of recess in schools. Poor lunch choices plus less activity in schools is a recipe for disaster for children.
Obesity facts and figures
* Obesity Fact: approximately one in three Americans are obese
* Obesity Fact: About 40 million in the U.S. are obese with another 3 million being morbidly obese.
* Obesity Fact: Obesity can lead to severe health problems including an increase in type II Diabetes.
* Obesity Fact: Not all obese people are lazy and fat, most are contributors to society.
* Obesity Fact: Something must be done to combat the Obesity Epidemic
* Obesity Fact: In 2010, no state had a prevalence of obesity less than 20%.
These are just a few of the obesity facts. If you are looking for an interesting read on obesity facts check out fat people cheaper to treat. A Dutch study that challenges the propaganda that many people believe to be true. I think that many people search for reasons to justify the mistreatment of the obese.
Is there a way to change these obesity facts
Current obesity research does not seem to be helping the trend. Some may see obesity as a responsibility issue but most obesity facts show otherwise. I feel that more research is needed in the genetic aspect of obesity.